Hands on time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour, 10 mins
- ¾ cup pitted dried dates, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, plus 1 extra tablespoon
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (approximately 2-3 medium bananas)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Pre-heat oven to 180 oC. Grease a 9 cm x 19 cm x 5.5 cm loaf pan and line with baking paper.
- Set a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Add dates to pan with 1 cup water; simmer for 5 minutes, or until dates soften and start to break down. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and walnuts in a large bowl. Add date mixture, mashed banana, vanilla extract and eggs; stir until almost combined. Fold raspberries lightly through mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface with the back of a spoon, scatter with extra nuts and bake for 1 hour, 5-10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean.
- Leave loaf to cool in pan for 30 minutes; turn out and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: store loaf in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Recipe source: Australian Healthy Food Guide – October 2015